The Downward Spirals Of Life - Top Ten Steps For Freeing Ourselves From
Some people call them vicious circles or cycles. I prefer to think of them as downward spirals of life. Those periods that we can all become trapped in like the whirlpool of water as it drains from the tub. If we're not careful and mindful these downward spirals can suck the life right out of us. Here are a few simple and effective steps you can use to free yourself of such life sucking periods.
1. NOTICE THE SPIRAL YOU'RE IN. As is so often true, awareness is the first step to intervention. Much of the power of a downward spiral comes from our continuing to be unaware of the direction of our life. Like a whirlpool, a downward spiral's power picks up strength and speed the longer we're in it; so it follows that the sooner we become aware we are trapped in a downward spiral, the easier it will be to change the direction of our life. It's often helpful to remember a downward spiral reversed becomes a spiral of fulfillment.
2. ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE FULLY PRESENT TO YOUR LIFE. When you first notice you're in a downward spiral, the tendency is to quickly react in an effort to free yourself. This initial reaction is often based in fear and may only exacerbate the spiral. Instead, take time to notice what is happening from a detached position. Witness your life by stepping outside of it for awhile. One simple way to do this is to imagine you are in a movie theater reviewing the "Story of My Life" movie. Watch and Observe.
3. CONSCIOUSLY RELEASE THE THOUGHTS AND EMOTIONS. As you begin to "Dismantle" the downward spiral, be sure you release and let go of the disempowering thoughts and emotions. You might envision a large bottomless trash can in front of you into which you toss each thought and each emotion attached to the thought or you can write it all down then burn the paper, thus releasing their hold on you.
4. RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO INDULGE. Don't get sucked into the drama of the movie. There's no point to watching the movie over and over. This will only suck you further down the spiral. Observe and Move On.
5. COMMIT TO CHANGING DIRECTIONS. Make a conscious choice to change the direction of your spiral. You may write down your choice as a declaration or share it with a friend, loved one or your coach. Draw a line in the sand.
6. KNOW THE MAKE UP OF A DOWNWARD SPIRAL. Knowing the basic elements that are the composition of a downward spiral will make it easier to change its directions. Downward spirals are composed of "molecules of meaning" which can be further broken down to fear, and lack based thoughts and emotions. This includes such things as doubt, worry, "shoulding" on yourself, jealousy, anger, fear, frustration, etc. All of these come together to effect who you think you are (i.e., loser, failure, unlovable, etc.) which then determines the actions you take and what you say out loud to yourself. All of which then determines what you have, as in the results with which you measure your life.
7. USE THE LAW OF ATTRACTION TO CHANGE THE SPIRAL'S DIRECTION. The Law of Attraction states that "like attracts like." So just like fear and lack based thoughts will attract more similar thoughts, the same is true of love and abundance based thoughts. By changing your thoughts and your emotions you change the direction of the downward spiral.
8. PRACTICE PATIENCE AND PERSISTENCE. Remember you didn't get into the downward spiral overnight, so don't expect reversing direction to take place in an instance. Just as it takes time to stop a car and put it into reverse, it will take time before you'll see the evidence that your downward spiral has become a spiral of fulfillment. In the mean time continue to affirm and trust that it is so.
9. BEGIN TO GATHER EVIDENCE FOR THE TURNAROUND. As you continue the turnaround process begin to look for physical evidence that the process is working. Start with the mindset that the evidence is there already and your job is to find it like a detector, rather than wondering whether there is any or not.
10. DEBRIEF, DECLARE THE ACCOMPLISHMENT, AND CELEBRATE. At some point you will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the turnaround is complete. Before moving on take a few minutes to acknowledge what you've learned from the experience, declare to yourself the accomplishment and celebrate it. You've made major progress along your purposeful path. "Celebrate, Celebrate. Dance to the Music."
©2005 Brad Swift of Life On Purpose Institute, Inc.
This article can be reprinted freely online, as long as the entire article and this resource box are included.
Dr. Brad Swift founded Life On Purpose Institute in 1996 with the vision of creating a World On Purpose by assisting people like yourself to clarify their life purpose & live true to it. Determine how on or off purpose your life is with the fun & insightful Self Test at: http://lifeonpurpose.com/_forms/self-test.php?source=ezart Inspire yourself with a fr.ee subscription to Purposeful Pondering Ezine: http://lifeonpurpose.com/index.php?dir=_ezines&task=view-ezines
Time Management - Finding Some Personal Time
Personal time or relax time is often why people want to learn how they can squeeze an hour or so out of their busy day. Often though, personal time becomes television time. You may think that if you only have an hour left before going to bed, there's not enough time to start something so you might as well just watch T.V.
The Ultimate Kick-butt Motivational Lesson
How often have you struggled with yourself over the work that needs to be done? How many times have you put off performing some task or other because it's too mundane?
Procrastination: Hypnosis Can Help You Overcome It
I recently saw a t-shirt with the following saying: "Procrastinate later." I had a great laugh. However, procrastination is really not that funny.
Five Ways to Stand Out from the Crowd
Some people are content to just to be another face in the crowd. By assuming this attitude, they are saying, in effect, to the rest of the world, I'm just average; there's nothing special about me. For those of us who would rather stand out from the crowd, there are some relatively easy ways in which we can accomplish this mission. None of them require a whole lot of skill or money. They do, however, require a little bit of commitment on our part.
The Art of Scripting Your Life
Writing a 'life script' is like writing a movie script. You need to create a feeling, evoke emotional responses and create the scenarios. You dream up the story, you write the lines and act it out. Why? Because you have the ability to create your life as you would like it to be. So many people live their life with the concept that they play whatever hand is dealt them. This can feel un-empowering, depressing and instill feelings of resignation and pain. You have so much more to do with your life plan than you realize.
Dont Just Hope - Decide!
As the story goes, a single college-age guy went to the airport one day to pick up a friend. As he waited for his friend to come off the plane, he noticed a man hurrying through the crowd, calling to the woman and two children standing next to him. The woman and two children were calling to the man as well. The man rushed up to the woman, took her in his arms, looked into her eyes, said "It's been too long!" and gave her a big kiss. As he bent down to hug each of his children he said "I've missed your faces so much."
Gremlins! Time to Take Control
It is a wonder we can function at all. Each of us has multiple personality types all crying for attention. Most of us think one way, work another, and feel in a personality style different from either working or thinking styles! And you question why you are sometimes confused?
When the Universe is aligned, all things are possible. Kismet, Karma, Synchronicity and Serendipity work together in unison to provide for us when we sometimes least expect it. Often it is there, but we are too blind to see. Blinded by stress, our jobs, our finances or our illnesses, we often miss what is right there in front of us.
What Motivates You - Desire or Fear?
The energy of desire is a powerful motivator and creative force. Yet we must state our desires clearly with the rewards of success in mind.
The Magic of Success is Actually a Law Set in Motion. Finding it is Quite Simple
Building Energy Around your Investment!
I'm back from Hawaii; it was ten days of physical and emotional mastery. We went from learning from twenty of the planets best speakers in their field, to being pushed physically with a fifty foot pole climb, and then, flying fifteen feet like a free bald eagle to a hanging trapeze. These were some of the most invigorating experiences of my life.
What Motivates the Motivator?
Someone wrote me an email a couple of weeks ago and said, "I would love to know what motivates YOU!" So I took them up on it and I want to spend some time telling you how I stay motivated.
Motivation, Your Core Resource
Your motivation is one of the core resources you have to accomplish all the things you want to achieve.
JJKs First Six Secrets to Becoming a Successful, Creative Entrepreneur!
Hello Creative Entrepreneurs!
Comment on Extra Ordinary Men of Our Time
Remember during the missions of Apollo. And others we knew every astronaut by name, we made them heroes. We celebrated their bravery. And they were brave too. If you ever get to Alamogordo Space Museum, Lyndon B Johnson Space Center in Houston or Kennedy Space Center and Museum in FL and look at the little tuna cans these guys went up in space in you then know just how brave they were. If you get a chance go to the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson AZ and look at the old brave technology you will simply want to relive a little of American technology, guts, glory and challenge.
If Theres Money in a Dead Mouse...
My 4 year old son was very excited. I had promised him to tell a wonderful story tonight.
How To Be Motivated To Create The Life Of Your Dreams
When it comes to motivating yourself to be a better person, to do better at work or to create a happier family life you need to understand the importance of taking control of your self-talk. You really need to know how to motivate yourself through thick and thin.
Extreme Makeover ? Compliments of Me
There is a fascination these days with reality shows that completely make over people, rooms, homes, businesses and now towns, in a short amount of time. I have to admit, I love them too. I love the neat story with a happy ending. They make it look easy, in spite of the pain and hard work many of them have to endure. People have always had this fascination. It's no different than the old shows (and I'm dating myself here) like Bewitched, where Samantha, who was a witch, would just twitch her nose and, Voila! ? her house was clean as a whistle. To go even further back, there was a very popular show called The Millionaire, where a mysterious benefactor would come anonymously with a check for a million dollars and transform someone's life.
Stop Procrastination--Just Do It!
In this article I'll talk about the reason that stops most of Internet entrepreneurs from succeeding online.
Ten Terrific Self Motivating Tips
No one can motivate anyone to do anything. All a person can do for another is provide them with incentives to motivate themselves. Here are ten very effective strategies to help you get up and get moving toward actualizing your enormous, untapped potential.
|home | site map|