|Weight Loss Information|
Seven Pitfalls That Cripple Weight Loss
Do you struggle to maintain or lose weight? If so, you are certainly not alone. Obesity is on the rise and becoming an epidemic in our society. Why are so many people overweight? Can we blame our genetics? Are we are plagued by a slow metabolism? Certainly, we can't be the victims of our own self indulgence, can we?
I advise people that losing weight is like starting a new business. It takes careful planning, proper public promotion, consultation with the appropriate experts to set up the structure of the program, and most importantly, a tireless dedication to finish the task despite the guaranteed peaks and valleys along the way. Unfortunately, much of our society expects rapid results, and once they realize the flaw in a fad diet or quick fix, they become frustrated and look for the next overnight solution.
Let me point out the following critical challenges that often block weight loss success for many clients. The list below identifies seven major reasons people fail to attain their desired weight.
1) Unrealistic expectations ? As mentioned earlier, people are impatient and want instant gratification. Often, clients are motivated by special events, such as weddings, reunions, or office bets with peers. Once the event passes, the desire to maintain change is lost, or the person may miss the deadline altogether. The answer is to set realistic goals for losing 1-2 pounds per week, understanding that it takes time and you may not lose weight every week. Be patient and work hard.
2) Scale obsession ? How many of you get on the scale every morning? Weight will fluctuate by 1-3 pounds at times based on water retention, dehydration, and of course too much overindulgence. Gradual weight loss is best, and those who don't see positive change each time they get on the scale often get frustrated easily. I recommend weighing yourself once per week on the same scale, on the same day, and at the same time of day to ensure accuracy and reliability. This might be tough, but it will disappoint less and provide a clearer picture of your progress.
3) Skipping breakfast ? You probably have heard that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." This is true because it kick starts your metabolism, provides fuel for activity, and also reduces the urge to eat unhealthy snacks before lunch. If you are rushed in the morning, buy healthy items such as fruit, yogurt, granola bars or cereal bars that can easily be consumed on the way to work or at your desk.
4) Failing to pack your lunch ? I firmly believe that packing a healthy lunch on a regular basis is essential to avoiding weight gain. If you don't, it becomes that much easier to grab fast food with co-workers or order in fare that is high in calories, hydrogenated fats, and sodium. You also have a higher probability of having desert when eating out.
5) Eating too few meals per day ? Yes, it's true that you should eat 5-7 times per day, but the portion sizes must be appropriate. Eating every 2-3 hours will prevent significant hunger pangs and eating binges. More importantly, it speeds metabolism and caloric burning throughout the day.
6) Poor grocery shopping ? I stick to the mantra of "If it's not in the house, you can't eat it." Always prepare a list of foods before going to the store, and never go shopping when you are hungry. This strategy will help eliminate unhealthy temptations and stumbling blocks.
7) Not drinking enough water ? Drinking water helps our muscles maintain cellular volume and flushes our system of waste products. It also prevents dehydration and excess water retention (water weight).
Brian Schiff, PT, CSCS, is a respected author, physical therapist and fitness expert. You can sign-up for his free online newsletter @ http://www.thefitnessedge.cc.
Copyright © 2004 Brian Schiff. This article was first published in Business First Columbus, Ohio in 2004.
Which is Better? Exercise or Dieting?
If you want to reduce your body fat, focus on increasing the amount of exercise you get rather than decreasing your food intake. A recent national study was done using two groups of sedentary men, one group in their 20's and the other over age 65. A lot was learned from this accumulated data and it is interesting to note that there was a significant relationship between lack of physical activity and fat. Not surprisingly, the most sedentary men had the most body fat.
A Weight Loss Secret ? The Art of Detachment!
Have you ever worried about something so much it paralyzed you from doing something about it? Have you ever been so obsessed with your weight that nothing seemed to work?
What Every Woman Needs!
As a woman, your body is very complex. Throughout every phase of your life you will require extra care and nutritional support. Today's scientific advances support a number of natural choices for women, like soy. Still, the fact remains that calcium, folic acid and iron continue to be the most important nutrients that can impact a woman's total health. All women should take a daily multiple vitamins with these essential nutrients.
The Truth About Fat
Fat has had a lot of bad press and for many people, just a mention of the word can evoke misery. You can try to lose it, try to hide it, try to avoid it, but your body still needs it! Did you know that fat helps to insulate our nerve cells, keeps us warm, balances our hormones, keeps skin and arteries supple, lubricates joints and is a component in every cell?
Just the Cold Hard Facts About Diets, Weight Loss, Exercise and Losing Fat
This is a layman marketer's observations on diets and weight loss based upon selling and working first hand with weight loss products for over 10 years.
How Do I Begin A Fat Loss Plan?... Let Me Count The Ways!
Most people are unsure about how to begin a fat loss program. They have many questions about food choices, meal composition and exercise.
Americas Secret Addiction
America is a nation of self-disclosers, amiably acceptant of our weaknesses. Celebrities, family members, coworkers and friends think nothing of admitting their compulsions and dependencies on alcohol, street drugs, prescription medications. We enter rehab programs, clean up, dry out, and go on with our lives: beating our problem or entering a long series of relapses and treatment episodes. Except, perhaps, for politicians or ministers, there is little social stigma attached to such mistakes unless there are criminal overtones that may lead to incarceration.
Simple Summer Fat Attack!
Summer is about to be in full swing, and it's that time when everyone wants to look impressive in their "lack" of clothing. While I can't promise you that you'll achieve a fitness model body, I can at least give you some simple but important tips in achieving a leaner physique. Listen up! Behavioral changes guarantee your success - not just knowledge alone. You may already have drawn out your road map with your nutritional plan and your workouts, so take that strategy and ACT on it. Stay motivated and consistently remind yourself of your fitness goal. Here are 11 basic tips to get you jumpstarted!
LapBand Surgery. The Rules of the Road...Part 1
When you begin the decision making process to have Weight Loss Surgery (WLS), and specifically LapBand Surgery, it is vital that you fully understand the changes you must make in your lifestyle. WLS is never the magic pill. It is something that you must work at to be successful.
Ultimate Weight Loss: Fight Fat and Win
As if you needed another reason to hit the snooze button, recent study concluded that your odds of being overweight are 24% lower for each additional hour you sleep. That's great and all, but what are those of us who work 50 hours a week on top of training and watching reruns on TV supposed to do with such findings?
Tips for Weight Loss
For a healthy body, it is very important to have ideal body weight. Try to reduce your weight gradually. If you lose weight quickly, you will gain it back fast and sometimes even more! Quick weight loss is not the answer to obesity.
The Jiggle Effect on Faster Weight Loss
Exercise Physiologists who study the effects of
I don't know about you, but I absolutely love bread - not the soft, fluffy, rubber stuff sold as an edible napkin, but the scrunchy, chewy, whole grain staff of life bread. I can pass by decorated cakes without a twinge and eyeball ice cream as if were something alien and unappealing. But show me a slice of rich pumpernickel or marbled rye, and my knees buckle. There are breads that make sandwich filling unimportant: olive and herb rolls, panetone, extra sourdough, cheese rolls, raisin bagels, onion bread, poppyseed, sesame seed, and caraway.
Dieting? Mental Activity is as Important as Physical
Activity means both mental and physical activity.
Does Ephedra Really Shed the Pounds Like It Promises? I Decided to Put It to the Test!
Since the reintroduction of Ephedra based products on about April 15 of this year I have had a few close friends of mine contact myself about Ephedra. The had simple questions about the safety and effectiveness of Ephedra based products. We chose to purchase a bottle and run our own little test. The test consisted of 20 days, following the instructions of course, with regular monitoring. The Results were not what we expected!
Lose Weight - Find Hidden Calories
If it seems that you have been eating as usual and the pounds seem to be creeping on - you could be a victim of hidden calories.
Low Carb diets have become as popular as apple pie (although apple pie wouldn't be allowed!). Everywhere you go the message is "low carb, decrease your carbs, or no carbs". Unfortunately this message oversimplifies many of the healthy eating habits that nutrition experts have been teaching. The truth is, there are no quick fixes or easy answers when it comes to healthy eating, and one size never fits all.
Tighter Tummy and Thinner Thighs
As a Master swimmer I am made painfully aware, each time I compete, of the importance of a strong core, and by that I mean stomach strength. I come away from each competition vowing to do more leg work, lots of legs-only with the kickboard, and for fitness there is really nothing to beat it.
Action Plan to Take the Weight Off This Year
Addicted to Restaurants
How to Eat Out and Lose Weight
Diners have become more health-conscious the last few years, and now want healthy choices whether eating at home or at their favorite restaurants. Luckily, the restaurant industry has been quick to accommodate the demand, so you'll find you have many options to "eat healthy" these days.
|home | site map|