50 Surefire Business Card Tips
Business cards are one of the most powerful and inexpensive marketing tools you can use. Here are 50 surefire tips to make the most out of your business cards:
- Your business card must communicate more than just your contact information. Make sure that your card includes a tag line that explains what you or your company do.
- Order them in large numbers. By ordering 1000 your cost per card will be significantly lower than if you ordered 500.
- Even if you can produce your business cards at home using an inkjet printer, have your business cards professionally made by a printing company. Your business card will be the first impression your prospects receive of your business, so let them convey the best possible one.
- Avoid using standard clip art as your business logo. A logo brings credibility and brand awareness, so before you invest in business cards have a logo professionally made for your business. Nowadays, there are online companies that can produce a professional logo for as little as $25, so there is no excuse for not having one made.
- Put up a website and use the URL in your business cards. If you dont have a website, people will notice the absence of a web address in your business card and, depending on the business you are in, it may make you lose credibility.
- Keep all the information in your business card current. If you changed address or phone number, dont scratch the old number and write down the new one by hand; get new business cards.
- Keep your business card simple. Dont use too many fonts or try to cram too much information in it. Try to use a pleasant layout and make sure that your main message your tagline or your unique selling proposition doesnt get lost.
- If you live in the US, limit your business card size to 3.5" x 2". Anything bigger will not fit in standard card holders and your card may end up in the trash. Business cards in Europe tend to be larger, but so are the wallets and card holders.
- Make sure that your business card reflects your image. If you are an artist or a graphic designer, it is OK to use trendy colors and fonts. If you are an investment banker, a sober layout and colors such as blue or gray work better.
- Your business card is an integral part of your brand or corporate identity strategy. It should follow the same graphics standards as the rest of your communications material stationary, brochures, letterheads, etc..
- Find a way to make your business cards stand out. Ive seen business cards with one of its corners cut in an angle, or with an interesting texture, all of which makes your business card stand out of the crowd. The best one Ive seen is from an interior designer, who used a hologram to show a room before and after a redesign.
- Make your business card easy to read: use high contrast between the background and the type. Light background with dark type works better.
- After your logo, your name should be the largest piece of information on your card.
- Make sure that all the information on your card is printed in a large enough typeface to be easily readable.
- Run your business card copy through a spell checker and double-check your contact information.
- Keep your business cards with you at all times. Keep a stack in your car, in your house, in your office, and in your wallet.
- Leave your business cards in billboards at supermarkets, schools, stores, libraries, etc.
- When giving away your card, give two or three at a time, so that your contacts can in turn distribute them to other people. This will not only help you distribute them faster, but will generate a beneficial "endorsing effect".
- Include a business card with all your correspondence. People may throw away the letter, but will usually keep the business card.
- Make your business card go the extra mile: use the back of the card to print more information: special offers, checklists, schedules, etc.
- Throw in a business card in every product you ship.
- Send a business card with any gift you send, instead of just a card with your name.
- Scan your card and use it as an attachment to emails.
- Use your business cards as name tags. Get a transparent plastic cover with a pin, and attach it to your lapel. Wearing it on your right side tends to make it more noticeable.
- Use your business card as a name tag on your briefcase. Make sure that your company logo and tagline are visible. This way, your business card will turn into a "conversation piece" during plane rides, which may help you meet interesting people and good business contacts.
- Use your business card as an ad: many publications offer "business card size" classified ads. If you design your business card properly, it can double up as an ad in those publications.
- Dont give your business card too quickly. It may be perceived as pushy. Try to establish a conversation with your prospect first. For example, ask them what do they do. That will usually prompt them to give you their card. That is the perfect moment to give them yours.
- Dont try to give your card in situations where many people are giving them to your prospect. Wait for a moment when you can capture your prospects attention span.
- Another tactic you can try when your prospect is overwhelmed and cant pay you enough attention is to send your card by mail. Pretend you ran out of business cards and ask for theirs. Then, mail them your card and take the opportunity to drop a follow up note.
- If you have a mobile phone number or a direct phone number that is not listed in your business card, write it at the back of your card before handing it out, and tell your prospect that you are giving them your direct number. This will make your card more important, and less likely to be lost or thrown out.
- Another way of increasing the chances that your prospect will keep your card is by printing valuable information on the back, for example important phone numbers local police, hospitals, etc, a calendar, or a football schedule.
- Offer to hand out cards of complementary non-competitive business people in exchange for them distributing yours. An example of non-competitive businesses is real estate brokers and mortgage brokers.
- If somebody gives you their business card, you should give them yours in return.
- Always give your business card face up.
- Take a cue from Far East business people, who hand out business cards with both hands. It helps give the impression that your business card is something very important.
- If you conduct business internationally, use the back of your card to print a translated version of your business card in your customers language. Even if they have no problem reading English, it will be a classy touch and they will appreciate it.
- If you sell different product brands and want to put their logos on your business card, print them in only one color. Using each logos brand colors could make your business card look chaotic and busy.
- Create a business card in magnet form. Magnets are widely used, to hold important papers on the refrigerator door at home and on file cabinets at work. They are always visible and always get read.
- When receiving somebody elses business card, dont put it away immediately. Instead, keep it in your hand for a while you talk to your prospect, or place it neatly over the table, and try to develop a conversation based on the information on the card.
- Use the back of the cards you receive to write down important facts about the persons who handed them to you. It will help you enormously when you follow up with them.
- If you are in a profession where relationship selling is important, it may be a good idea to include your picture in your business card i.e. real estate brokers.
- Even if your business is a sole proprietorship, you can still use "account manager" as your title instead of "owner" or "president". If you do sales and we all do "account manager" is a perfectly appropriate title, and it will give the impression that you work for a larger company.
- If you participate in affiliate programs online, you can still use business cards to promote your affiliate links. Use the name of the affiliate company as the company name, use partner or associate as your title, and the URL of the directory or web page where you have placed your affiliate links as your web address. Just because affiliate programs are online doesnt mean that you cant use off-line marketing methods to promote them.
- If you need to give cards to different kinds of prospects for example if you are a student looking for work, make business cards with just your name and contact information, and attach custom made self-adhesive labels at the back with information of interest to each specific prospect.
- Include an information email address for example: email@example.com that is set in autoresponder mode, that automatically triggers an email message with full information about your product, service or company. This will increase the effectiveness of your business card since you will give your prospect much more information that you can fit in a card.
- Take good care of your business cards. Keep them clean and crisp in a cardholder. Dont give away cards that are bent or damaged.
- Try to get a cardholder with two pockets. That way, you can use one for your business cards and the other one for the business cards you receive.
- Keep all the business cards you receive neatly organized in a rolodex. It will save you time and will provide you with a database of contacts with whom to build positive business relationships.
- Collect all the business cards you can find, even if you dont need them. Together, they will act as an "idea file" that will provide you with valuable tips that you can use to design your business cards.
For more business card tips, visit Free Business Cards:
Mario Sanchez publishes The Internet Digest http://www.theinternetdigest.net an online collection of tips and resources on Internet Marketing and Web Design. You can also visit his Business Card Tips page at: http://www.accordmarketing.com/businesscards/ .
The Angry and Sometimes Grumpy Children of the 1950s
A bunch of us in our late 40s and early 50s got together the other night, and after the evening was over I started thinking that many of us born in the 1950s are in a crisis stage. People cant understand why we are so angry and grumpy sometimes. This article discusses some of the issues we have with society today and might enlighten others the younger set as to why we seem so disillusioned, and out of sorts at times.
Double Your Sales Potential With Double-sided Business Cards
Swapping business cards is one of the most basic and common forms of networking in the business world. With something that is so common practice, people often hand out cards blindly while not really thinking about what the card does AFTER you hand it out.
Writing e-Newsletters – Tricks of the Trade
Follow 10 simple rules of thumb, and you’ll soon be writing great e-newsletters and reaping the rewards.
Can I Have Your Autograph
Being a celebrity means dealing with fan demands for autographs, ranging from polite and appropriate to rude and overbearing. One time Katherine Hepburn was performing on Broadway and tried to exit backstage through a crowd of jostling autograph hounds. Bodyguards helped her to her limo and once safely inside the very private star rolled down the window and shouted," Run em down! Well clean up the blood later!" The crowd scattered and the limousine sped away, pausing long enough for Hepburn to roll down the window and wave goodbye to her fans, accompanied by an evil laugh. Strangely enough, when she lived in Beverly Hills the seclusion loving Hepburn developed the habit of sneaking into her neighbors houses as a hobby. She became expert at climbing trees, avoiding alarms and dogs, and revealing herself just before her nervous neighbors called the police.
10 Wisdom-Based Wealth-Building Strategies
“It’s the business of your life…and you’re the CEO!”Gala Gorman
Writing a Press Release
When dealing with "this-just-in" type information, it is important to understand how to write a head-turning press release. A press release must contain substantial information that you consider to be newsworthy and substantial. Relate the news to the audience. Spell out for them WHY it is newsworthy and why they should read on. First describe your news, and THEN tell who said it, etc. Remember that the first ten words in your press release are the attention-getters, thus should be effective. Use what journalists refer to as plain-style language, not fancy words or lots of adjectives. Stick to the facts; avoid fluff. Provide plenty of contact information the name, phone numbers, fax etc. for the person with the most information about the story to make it as easy as possible for the media to do their job!
How To Realistically Set Your Fees - Part 3
Effect of Benefits
Does Your Business Need An Attitude Adjustment
First you need to: Change your attitude.I know you feel you have a good reason for feeling bad.However, instead of moaning and groaning about why me, ask yourself how you can turn the situation around. It’s better than feeling sorry for yourself, and a lot more productive.You may not have all the answers you need immediately. It is important, though, that you are asking questions. Eventually you will ask the right questions, and move forward.
Avoid The Sticker Shock Of Relocating
To avoid the sticker shock of relocating, moving Americans can use the results of movecentral.coms annual moving survey to plan their spending. The new survey finds that movers spend $9,400 on purchases during the three-month relocation period, while renters spend $3,700.
How To Get New Business
Market, Market and then market some more. So many small and home-business owners do what we call spot marketing. They market hard for their business, get a response then stop marketing.
Credit Cards For People With Bad Credit Scores
Sometimes life lands you in a situation that causes your credit to suffer. A job loss or illness can send your credit rating south leaving you with nothing to do about it. Some creditors may let you slide a month or two, but your records will still show a delinquency. A stolen identity can also leave you feeling violated and unable to resume a normal life with credit. It is during these times you may have to search a little harder to find companies that wan to deal with people who have bad credit. There are a handful of lenders who will help you re-establish your creditworthiness by using one of their credit cards.
How Creditors Measure Your Credit Rating
Creditors will measure your credit rating based on the following three main things.CapacityCollateralCharacter
Image is Key to Your Marketing Success
In virtually any business first impressions are lasting impressions. Most people have heard this statement for years, and yet some people completely ignore the first impression they are conveying to potential customers or clients.
13 Steps to Increasing Your Link Luck
Link development can be an absolute nightmare. It takes up most of a marketer’s time and the yield isn’t always what we originally hoped. Worrying about PR, one way inbound links, triangle linking, where to find quality sites to exchange with, it’s all just a huge headache. To be honest, there’s no real way to wash your hands of it, unless you have a huge budget for purchasing text links or to hire someone to do your linking for you. So here are 13 ways to increase your linking luck. They require a little bit of effort, but executed properly, these steps will only bring your site success.
Before Selling Your Home
Here are some important steps you should take before you put your house on the market:
Empire State Building – A landmark
This is a story of structure that remained tallest for 42 years. It is one of the best known structures of the world and has been admired by all of us. So much so that each of us knows its name. This building not only became an icon but a symbol of twentieth century mans attempts to achieve the impossible. But how did this gigantic icon get built- Chandra Bhushan, Architect
New Bill to Keep Banks out of Real Estate
This week Congress introduced a bill titled, "Community Choice in Real Estate Act," to permanently ban banking conglomerates from entering real estate brokerage or property management. This is because some of the larger banking conglomerates have requested permission from the Federal Reserve Board to sell and manage real estate. Pretty much every major organization in the real estate industry is backing the bill against banks in real estate.
Apartment Searches: Lose the Rose-Colored Glasses First
If youre getting ready to rent, dont do what this editor did once ... a long, long time ago.
Understanding Real Estate Terminology
Purchasing a home can be a complicated and confusing process, especially for first-time buyers.Throughout the process, first-time home buyers will encounter a variety of unfamiliar real state terms. There are several key terms associates with purchasing real estate that are helpful to learn.
Finding A Capable Agent To Meet Your Real Estate Needs
Whether you’re a first-time buyer, selling your current home or relocating to a different part of the country, the support of a qualified, knowledgeable real estate agent can alleviate many of your concerns and ensure a smooth transaction.A professional agent can market your present residence, help you locate the home of your dreams and assist in making your transfer to an unfamiliar area easier.