The Toughest Decision of All: Get Out or Get Going!
Many of us are influenced by the sports ethic: Never give up! When a basketball team is down by 20 with 30 seconds on the clock, the players never stop working. Spectators might be filing out, and the winning team might be deep into the bench, but the game goes on.
If your game is a business or a job,you won't hear a whistle to signal the end of the game. If you keep going and win, you may gain a lifelong prize. If you keep throwing good money and energy into a losing cause, the whistle can blow for unemployment or bankruptcy.
"Should I keep going?" is one of the most difficult questions for anyone, including career counselors and coaches. There is no single answer, but here are some ways to focus the question.
1. How did you get into the situation? Were you encouraged by a spouse, parent, friend or mentor? You have a better chance of fulfilling your own dream than someone else's.
2. Is there a little voice in your head that whispers, "Maybe you should be doing X instead?" Listen up, as the sports coaches say, especially if you can put a name on "X" ,and if you've been playing this game awhile. That "little voice" may be your intuition speaking.
3. Does your new venture refuse to go away? If you try to leave your job, do you find yourself getting caught up in a new project or rewarded with a new promotion?
One speaker, accepting a local "Entrepreneur of the Year" award, told the audience, "I hated this business. I tried to sell it but nobody would buy me out. I was forced to fix it up and, in the process, found success."
4. What is the universe telling you? Are you getting customers? Is your progress considerably faster or slower than your peers and competitors? Has anything clicked into place for you, seemingly without effort? To interpret these messages, tune in to your own intuition.
5. What is your own historical trend? Do you tend to give up too easily or hang on too long? Often coaching can help you identify career patterns and decide if you want to make changes.
6. Are you still having fun? A loss of enthusiasm can be temporary, especially if you're fatigued or have just experienced a setback. Long-term discouragement will create negative energy and ultimately destroy your career or business.
7. Must your decision be either-or? Can you continue a business part-time with a manager? Can you look for a new job but also start a business? Multi-tasking can fragment energies but also offer unparalleled opportunities. It's a key transition skill. I offer one-to-one consultations on career strategy.
About The Author
Cathy Goodwin, Ph.D., is an author, speaker and career/business consultant, helping midlife professionals take their First step to a Second Career. http://www.cathygoodwin.com.
"Ten secrets of mastering a major life change" mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: email@example.com 505-534-4294
10 Common Money And Success Myths ? Part 2
Here are a few commonly held beliefs, or "myths," that hold many of us back from achieving success...
By Planning and Exerting Effort, You Can Change Things For The Better
Most of us plan to find the love of our life, our soul mate. It is a natural human instinct to find a partner. Someone who we can grow and expand with, someone we can have a family with, someone we can spend the rest of our life with.
How to Overcome Procrastination in 4 Simple Steps
If procrastination is holding you back in life, these 4 simple steps are a sure way to help you overcome your endless struggle with procrastination. You'll soon be able to achieve those daunting tasks and in some cases, even look forward to doing them!
A Formula For Improved Achievement
Your ability to perform in life is determined by a number of factors:
Perseverance is about as important to achievement as gasoline is to driving a car. Sure, there will be times when you feel like you're spinning your wheels, but you'll always get out of the rut with genuine perseverance. Without it, you won't even be able to start your engine.
Why To Dump Will Power And Get Motivated The Easy Way
For over 20 years I have been fascinated by the possibilities that exist for creating rapid and lasting personal change. And I learned some great tools for personal change.
Self Confidence: How To Build Your Confidence In Three Simple Steps
To Feel Confident ? A C T
Prime That Pump! Part 3
How healthy is your vision of yourself? How does your mental image of yourself stack up against that of, say, some hero of yours? Let's find out.
Its Only Too Late If You Dont Start Living Now
Remember when summer seemed to last forever? My mother use to say that some day we would realize just how fast time goes by. As usual, my mother was right.
Have You Said Thank You Today?
'When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.' --G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936) English essayist, novelist, journalist, poet
Motivation By An Audience
Sooner or later, if you keep working hard in a focused way on a skill or project, you will have an audience even if it is an audience of one.
Taking The Leap
Every four years, February gives us a whole 24 hours of bonus footage to add to our year. Many people take this opportunity to "do something special" with their extra day. But why wait for Leap Day? Why not celebrate the "leaps" and risks we take every day when we venture outside of our comfort zone or work to improve our lives? Of course change, especially life-altering change, is bone-shakingly frightening sometimes. The whole concept is fraught with a veritable minefield of "what ifs" that can be hard for us to see and get past in order to reach the destination point where our dreams lie. So I offer you the following "what ifs" along with some answers to help you take that leap, whatever it may be, and land safely on the other side!
A Tribute to Edna
To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world. ? Unknown
2 Simple Ways To Cure Procrastination
Curing procrastination is not necessarily about will power or forcefully advancing in your goals but rather it is about learning why we procrastinate, what we are afraid of and finding ways to face those fears in order to move forward in our lives.
Creating Your Best Year Ever
January is synonymous with resolutions and getting organized is high on many people's list. Unfortunately, perhaps some of us make a resolution, when what we really want is a revolution.
Mr. Smith, Please Enter the Dream Room - Dream Big Dreams to Do Big Things!
Enjoy a great quote to start off this fantastic week!
Resistance Is Natural - but Not Helpful - in Times of Change
Here are five feelings we all experience in changing times. Check these out for yourself by thinking about times when you were experiencing significant life change, either personal or professional.
How to Use the Power of Words to Your Benefit
Someone I know maintains that "motivational words are great coming from philosophers, but that's because they're not in the real world." The power of words can be an incredible aid to helping us remain motivated and focused.
Commit To Applying Lessons Learned
When growing up as a child, the concept of learning a lesson becomes so routine, that many of us just set it aside as unimportant like many other principles that otherwise should be heeded.
Want Real Change in Your Life? Take Action!
It's easy to begin a year with analysis: months, days and even years of "thinking." Many of us would like to believe that "reaching goals" begins with an armchair, a self-help book and a beer. But if you really want to see some change, remember that action creates energy.
|home | site map|