Inertia? 5 Tips to Getting Yourself Moving Again!
Inertia. Even the word sounds like a disease. No, it isn't literally a disease but it is one figuratively. Simply defined inertia is: resistance or disinclination to motion, action, or change. For those of us who are stuck in a job we hate, inertia can sap our energy, drain our lives of joy, and make us miserable to be around. The following 5 tips will help you make the changes necessary to bury your inertia.
1. Update your resume. Yes, you read it right. More than likely one of the accuses you have is that your resume is woefully outdated. Pull it out, look it over, and make the changes. Most importantly ask yourself, "Am I proud of my most recent accomplishments?" Probably not!
2. Start dreaming. You probably already have imagined yourself working outside of your current place of employment. Now is the time to visualize what you want to do. Is it a career change? Do you want to go work for the competition? Do you want to start your own business? Write down your dreams and aspirations and start investigating your options.
3. Widen your circle of friends and associates. Chances are the people you associate with are "enabling" you to stay in your miserable job. Should that be the case, expand your network of peers and start spending time with new people who have fresh ideas who will not hold you back. A positive attitude will vault you forward while negativity is a certain hindrance.
4. Set concrete goals. Telling yourself, "I want to have a new job next year," is not a concrete goal. Plan out your "exit strategy" from your current job and your "entrance strategy" into your new job. Incorporate all the steps you will need to take to get that new job which can include: a refreshed resume, a wardrobe overhaul, weight loss/management, career coaching, and more.
5. Get fired. Well, not really. However, if in the meantime you do lose your job, look at it as a blessing in disguise. Sometimes we need a push in our lives to make the tough decisions we dread, or fear. You can always "fire yourself" by setting a deadline as to when you will leave your current job. Tell yourself now, "this job has ended," and be prepared to get moving.
You have full control over your inertia and only you can decide what to do about it. It is time to move on. You know it, you really do.
Matt manages a web design/marketing company in North Carolina, USA. At one time Matt was overcome by inertia, but he began the journey away from it when he was laid off from his deadend job. Within weeks he started his new company and later, made an important geographical move that has stimulated him further. Today, he battles all temptations to be "stuck in a rut" and is constantly exploring new venues and challenging himself to greater pursuits. http://www.corporateflyer.net
Entrepreneurs: Take Action Over Inspiration Every Time!
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory!" General George S. Patton
Ten Terrific Self Motivating Tips
No one can motivate anyone to do anything. All a person can do for another is provide them with incentives to motivate themselves. Here are ten very effective strategies to help you get up and get moving toward actualizing your enormous, untapped potential.
How Do I Stop Procrastinating?
Often times we procrastinate because it just seems like so much WORK to get what we want! We just don't feel like the rewards justify everything that needs to be done to obtain those goals.
The Best Day Of My Life
Today, when I awoke, I suddenly realized that this is the best day of my life, ever!
The First Step
Today is an anniversary of sorts for me. Three years ago today, I publicly launched Tomorrow's Edge after years of getting ready, talking about how I was someday going to do it, and researching everything but advertising! It was a huge first step in the middle of a bunch of first steps that I had taken up to that point. Naturally, it fell flat on it's face because of my lack of education in the marketing area. So, here I am three years later, better educated, dusted off, boot straps pulled up, repeating that first step. I take a deep breath, psyche myself up, wiggle my toes a bit, bend my knee, lift my foot, and sit back down with another cup of coffee?. Maybe in a minute or so.
Challenge Yourself - Stretch Your Boundaries Daily!
Many times we fall into a sedentary lifestyle because we fear forward movement. We eventually feel as though we've fallen into a rut and can't seem to escape. However, this is where we tend to forget that part of moving forward in life is to continue challenging yourself and your abilities.
14 Reasons To Get Motivated And Stay Motivated
Why should you bother to spend your valuable time to learn how to get motivated and stay motivated?
I?ll Do It In A Minute... Or Maybe I Won?t
'Procrastination is like a credit card: it's a lot of fun until you get the bill.' Christopher Parker
What is Your Challenge
January is almost over.
Words that Inspire: PASSION
What is your PASSION?
How to Give Yourself a Motivational Warm Up When You Wake Up
Why Do 9 Out of 10 People Never Live Their Dreams?
When we were kids we all had dreams. There were no boundaries to our imagination and anything was possible. Do you remember your dreams? What happened to your dreams? Did life get into its way? Are we all to busy to use our imagination?
Citizens of the Land of Opportunity
"We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." --The Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776
Do You Have Staying Power?
"If you are going through hell , keep on going" - Sir Winston Churchill
That First Step To Massive Success
Do you ever procrastinate? So do I!
Intelligence & Energy
Life and evolution is the dynamics of energy in which there is gradual unfoldment of energy and intelligence. Intelligence opens packets of energy which further opens up the doors of higher perceptions.
Dont Let Failure Go To Your Head
I watched as an 8-year-old All-Star slid dramatically into second base. Yet the umpire gave the dreaded signal, "Out!" The crowd yelled, "That's OK. Way to hustle! Great try!"
Taking action about our current station in life involves taking responsibility for our current state of affairs. When we acknowledge that we are the main culprits with regards to where we are now, we will more likely take responsibility for creating the future we desire.
Greed and Selfishness: Knowing The Difference And Loving Yourself!
I hear many people discuss how selfishness leads to greed, or that being greedy is part of being selfish. I simply have to say that "greed" and "selfishness" are not the same things. These are "value words" and are based on ideas and information drilled into our heads when we were younger as something known as "basic morals."
What Being Vs Doing Really Means
So often we hear about "being" rather than "doing." Often it's given as advice when we are overwhelmed, overworked and overstressed. "You should just 'be.' You're doing too much." Well, yes, obviously, but what does that MEAN? How do we just be?
|home | site map|