How To Motivate Yourself For Success?
I was having coffee with my friend the other day. He just joined a multi-level marketing company. The company sells aromatherapy products that improve air quality and help people to have a healthier life.
My friend had tested the products himself and he is very convinced with the effectiveness of the products.
But my friend told me, "I have problem motivating myself."
"The products are excellent. The rewards system is good. There are a lot of success stories from those who have made it to the top. But I can't keep myself going." My friend confided.
Have you felt this before?
This is a common problem that happens to everyone. We all have plans to achieve success in life. But what is lacking is the motivation that keeps us going to convert plans into action.
Usually, you feel very 'excited' at the beginning when doing something new for the first time. But after a while, somehow you feel that you lack passion and motivation. The excitement that you had in the first few days just disappeared for no reason.
I had the similar problem. But I did not let the problem of motivation stop me from achieving my goals.
Here are the ways that I use that can effectively curb the problem of motivation. I use one or more of these techniques.
1. READ A BOOK. Just grab a book and read; especially an inspirational book or a book of success stories. By reading these books, you not only learn from others but the story will motivate you to move ahead with your plans. It also makes you re-focus your energy on your goals rather than focusing your energy on the problems at hand. I especially like books written by Mark Victor Hansen.
2. THINK OF PURPOSE OF WHAT YOU DO. If you don't feel motivated, think of why you want to achieve what you want. That is the purpose of doing what you are doing. Your purpose could be to improve the life of others, or help people to do things more efficiently, or to help people to make more money. Thinking of your purpose is an important way to motivate yourself.
3. TALK TO A SUPPORTIVE FRIEND. Talking to a supportive friend would be able to overcome the problem of lacking motivation. You can also talk to your business partners regarding this. Find someone that you are comfortable with and share your problems with him. After sharing your problems, you will feel re-charged and re-energized.
4. LISTEN TO AUDIO TAPE. If you don't like reading, get a motivational tape and listen to it. The contents of the tape can motivate you and help you to look at things from the different perspective and from a positive outlook. Besides that, you can also read and browse through a list of motivational quotations of famous people. There are gems lie in these quotations. At our web site, you can find more than 100 quotations from famous people at: http://www.financiallyrich.com/success-quotes.asp
5. GO THROUGH YOUR GOALS DAILY. Prepare a list of goals that you want to achieve. Write them down on a piece of paper. You should go through your goals at least once every day. You need to do this even more if you feel down and de-motivated. By doing this, you refresh your mind with the goals you have set for yourself and avoid other distractions.
6. DO IT. Another way to prevent the problem of motivation is to get your hands dirty and get started with what you need to do. Sometimes you don't feel like doing what you want to do. But by 'forcing' yourself to just do it, you'll probably gain momentum little by little and without you realize, you have actually finished the task on hand. No matter what, just start with what you need to do, either you like it or not.
Having said all these, intrinsic motivation is far more effective than extrinsic motivation. Intrinsic motivation is like fulfillment, satisfaction, sense of achievement and enjoyment. If your motivation is only to make more money, in which money is an extrinsic motivation, your success will not last long. I'd advise you to focus on the intrinsic motivation for your long lasting success.
All the best to my friend in his new venture...
Abel Cheng offers small and medium enterprises exclusive global profits insider tips in his free publication, Abel Cheng's Business Diary. To officiate a bi-weekly subscription, please go to http://www.abelcheng.com/diary.html And get personal email coaching.
How to Get Rid of Inaction Paralysis!
How many times have you come up with a brilliant idea only to find yourself paralyzed with inaction and wondering/regretting why you never pursued it?
Hurry Up And Procrastinate
I've been meaning to write this column, but I keep putting it off. There always seems to be something better or more important or easier to write about.
Glass Half Full
YES MY GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL AND YOURS CAN BE TOO!
Are You IFFY?
Many people say that working for themselves or working on Straight commission is just too 'IFFY' for them.
A Wake Up Call
The story below is a true story that happened in September.
What Motivates You - Desire or Fear?
The energy of desire is a powerful motivator and creative force. Yet we must state our desires clearly with the rewards of success in mind.
Say It Aint So
For years, many of us heard the phrase "Knowledge is Power." We actively devoured books upon books to advance our knowledge in the hopes of gaining power. Some of us even adopted the attitude that I can learn anything from a book. Yes, knowledge is powerful, but knowledge alone will not advance you to that next level of success, whatever it is.
How to Get Up on a Down Day
One of the major obstacles to achieving goals is losing the motivation necessary to finish them. Many times the initial surge of energy is lost after the reality of hard work or set backs sets in. Here are eleven things that can be done to maintain high motivation.
How To Create A Dream
All of us have a vision of our own possibility. Yet few achieve the success that our heart's desire.
Quick Steps To Handle Setbacks
Looking for a way to handle a setback?
Just Do It!
If you run a business like I do, you probably have limited time to do all the things you need to do each day. In order to make sure I get to exercise each day, I have to get up BEFORE the chickens do ? between 4:30 AM and 5AM. Every single time I have to tell myself, "Kim, JUST DO IT!" I don't always want to either but I do it.
We stood in the kitchen talking. I was discussing my upcoming change in lifestyle. I was excited yet hesitant as I talked about it. We set a goal many years ago to change our lifestyle from one of the hectic city life, working to pay the bills?.. to one of a slower country pace, working on our "wanna do's". Yet as I talked to my friend about this, there was hesitation in my voice. Leaving a company where I had worked for over 26 years, leaving friends who have become like family to me, leaving a province where I had lived, raised my children and worked for the last 16 years. I expressed my concerns of leaving a steady paycheck for a much, much lower income. As I talked, that little voice in my head was saying, "what are you doing, will you be able to make it?"
Ambitiously Pursuing Your Own Self
(Excerpted from The Power of Ambition series)
Discover Your Purpose In Life
Everyone has a life purpose; a unique and special something each of us is supposed to do in LIFE. A life purpose is not a specific job or career, it is much deeper and much more fulfilling. Now, you can uncover your own life purpose. You can do it the easy, fast, modern way, using a modestly priced online program, or you can uncover your own life purpose using the more difficult (but free) old-fashioned do-it-yourself method, If you want to save a few bucks and try doing it yourself here's how ...
Stop Squeaking! Align Yourself for Business Success!
Even for a remarkable business owner like you, from time to time, you may still loose motivation in continuing the expansion of a service or product line. At time, you may seem to have a hard time figuring out why this once fantastic business that got you so excited every morning is making you feel like a heavy weight now.
The Road Less Traveled
Can someone please tell me why it is that men who have nothing substantial to offer continually approach me? Do you have anything of benefit to bring to MY table? Do I wear a sign on my forehead that reads: WANTED. UNEMPLOYED MAN WITH NO MOTIVATION, NO GOALS OR ASPIRATIONS. GROUNDED EMPLOYED, SUCCESSFUL R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-L-E MEN NEED NOT APPLY?
If Not Now, When?
How many times have you made excuses for putting off something you really needed or wanted to do? Probably too many times to count. It is all too easy to get in the habit of putting the desires of your heart on hold. You may have been taught to put the needs of others first or that it is selfish to think of your own desires.
Correct Your Mindset and Expel The Fear
The main problem with many of us is we loose our direction in life. We have great aspirations upon leaving school or college but then just loose direction or do not know how to achieve our dreams. We are all taught the academic basics needed to function in today's world. We may then study further to achieve a qualification in a particular field. But we are never taught how to achieve real success. You need far more then just qualifications to make a success of your life. It's a fact that many people have left school with very few or no qualifications, but have still been very successful.
Put Some Fire in Your Desire
One of the keys to success is staying motivated because it is being motivated that keeps us going out the door every day to change the world and reach our destiny! It is our desire for a better life, for change in ourselves and others, and for personal growth and fulfillment that moves our mountains! Desire!
Unleash Your Unlimited Power
Your Non-Conscious Mind is 98% of your full power. Your Inner Knowing is at least 986,743 times more powerful than your non-conscious mind. The reason is because this inner knowing has direct access to harness the infinite powers of the universe to produce results.
|home | site map|