|Top Quick Tips
10 Things To Do Before You Start Your Business
If you are thinking of starting a new business, or if you are just about to take the plunge, you will know that there is a lot that you have to do. But where do you start? It is a good idea to get some of the groundwork done before you start, possibly this will often mean things that you hadn't thought about, things that most people do as a reaction to circumstances rather than as a planned activity. However, in practice you will almost certainly find that it is easier to set things up right at the beginning, so that systems grow with the business, rather than find yourself "firefighting" later on.
Here are a few things to think about and do, before you dive straight into running your new business. Get the foundations right and you will be well on the way to a successful business.
This is by no means an exhaustive list, but should be enough to start you off.
1. Think about your goals. What are you setting out to achieve? Write them down. Did you know that only 3% of people have written goals? ..and did you also know that these people earn up to TEN times more than people without written goals!
2. Why are you setting up in business? What do you ultimately want from your business? Write down your exit strategy. Do you want to sell eventually or pass on to your family? Are you aiming for big profits, to create a 'name' or just fulfil a need that you have identified?
3. Find a good accountant, someone who is proactive and forward thinking. (See "10 Things To Ask Your Accountant")
4. Find a mentor. Either your accountant or other business advisor, someone in the same field who has done it already or perhaps someone from the local enterprise agency.
5. Research your market. Make sure there is demand, do people want what you have to sell? Also check pricing and packaging options, what would people pay, how do they want it delivered and with what choices?
6. Write your Business Plan. It may sound obvious, but lots of people don't do it. There are lots of places where you can find free help and advice, just do a search on the internet, or ask your business advisor.
7. Decide where you are going to work. You have many choices ? at home, in an office, in a warehouse, near to customers, out of town?.. What is right for you and your business?
8. Make sure you know how you are going to finance your new business. Have you plans to survive the first 3-6 months whatever happens?
9. Open a bank account. Keep all your business transactions separate from your personal ones. You will find it much easier to manage ? your accountant will like it too!
10. Read The E-Myth Revisited By Michael E Gerber. It has to be THE book for new business owners.
As I said, this is not a comprehensive list, there are probably hundreds of other things that people might add. But this should give you a good base to start from.
Julia McDaid is a business coach and author, specialising in helping business start ups. For more information on these issues or on coaching for new business owners, see http://www.startupright.co.uk or enrol on Julia's unique Start Up 101 ecourse, where you can go into each question in a lot more depth. Julia also publishes a free ezine 'Secrets of the Successful Entrepreneur' ? to sign up just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Top 7 Tips For Writing Your Marketing Plan
A lot of people are at a loss when it comes to deciding how to approach the marketing plan process and how to stay within time and budget constraints. To make for a less stressful marketing plan process, keep these 7 tips in mind:
10-Point Checklist for High Visibility in Google
Google is the pre-eminent search engine (SE) with no close competitor. Given that inclusion is free, your Web pages must be in it. We'll show you how to top the Google SERPs, that is, be found at the top of the search engine results pages. These techniques are known as search engine optimization (SEO) and require a small investment of your time.
The Top Ten Reasons to Hire a Coach
1. You have a big goal and you want someone to support you. A coach has no other agenda except to help you succeed. He/she can help you to brainstorm ideas, act as a sounding board, help you overcome your fears, and hold you accountable for moving forward on your plans.
The 10 Biggest Mistakes People Make Managing Organisational Performance
mistake #1: rely just on financial statements
7 Keys to Running a Successful Business
Although dentistry may appear to be different than other types of businesses, in reality it is a business. And although this article is written from a dentist's perspective on developing a successful practice, the principles can be used in virtually any business.
Learn to Improve Sales - 10 Ways to Get More Business Starting Today
You need sales and you wanted them yesterday. Here are ten ideas to start those sales pouring in. Learn them then use them.
7 Tips On Getting Ready To Put Attraction Marketing Into Action
Attraction marketing is about making a customer for life not just making a sale. It's about connecting your passion in business with your perfect clients and customers and giving them a enjoyable experience with your company. People like buying but they hate being sold stuff. Attraction marketing is based on alignment with Universal law and the principles of positive energy not on struggle, lack, and resistance. When using the principals of attraction marketing you are leading not selling. You need to give value and be of service every step of the way without giving away the store. These 7 tips will get you ready to put attraction marketing into action.
The Lazy Person Secrets To Overnight Wealth And Fame
There are so many simple, yet really sure-fire ways of acquiring wealth, it's a wonder everybody with even the least bit of ambition isn't already rich. When you come right down to it, the only things needed for anyone to make bundles of money are the long-range vision and the energy to put a money-making plan into force.
The Top Ten Ways to Stop Procrastinating Now
10. Procrastination Condemnation - Lose the Labels! All those things you call yourself, such as lazy, scattered, disorganized, not good enough, incompetent, or stupid, for example, aren't helping you get things done, are they? You've learned to believe them, and you think they've become something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you look around yourself, though, you'll see evidence that you can accomplish quite a number of things without delay.
How To Finally Unlock Your True Potential And Discover The Secret To Lasting Success
Did you know that there is one critical difference between average businesses and super-successful businesses?
Bookkeeping Techniques For Morons
Please don't think I am calling you a "moron" to hurt your feelings in any way. I was a moron when I first started setting up my files. You have to force yourself to do it NOW -- right at the beginning! Many of a business has collapsed simply because they lacked organization in their basic accounting business practices. Don't be one of them!
How To Take Daily Big Rock Actions To Jumpstart Your Business Into Massive Momentum
Do you know exactly what actions you need to do today to be on track to reaching your big, long-term goals?
Top 7 Strategies for Writing Accounting Procedures
Part Two of Cash to Cash Cycle Series
7 Super Ways To Drum Up More Sales
1. Use subheads throughout your ad copy.
10 Steps for Business Owners to Take if They Are a Victim of Identity Theft
Be aware that 40 million crooks obtained credit card numbers this past year, "Be Suspicious". Also be aware that most identify theft is not reported, especially when it involves family members, so the statistics are off. These statistics show that consumers lost $5 billion last year when in actuality it is closer to $50 billion. There have been an estimated 9.9 million victims in America.
The Top 10 Reasons Businesses Succeed
Only one of every 5 businesses makes it to its 5th year, and fewer still make it to 10 years. What do the successful businesses have in common?
Top Ten Ways to Develop New Success Habits
1. Make a clear, specific commitment to what you want. Put your commitment in writing and post it where you can see it often.
10 Tips to Successfully Use Business Networking as a Marketing Strategy
Networking is probably the best way to build a profitable business, or sales pipeline over the long term. Many of us understand the value of networking, but we don't always know the best way to go about it. Here are 10 simple tips that will help you maximize the effectiveness of your networking efforts.
The 10 Benefits of Cross Cultural Training
Cross cultural differences can and do impede upon communication and interpersonal relationships. In the business world this occurs daily, where people from different cultures interact and are expected to perform and make decisions. Cross cultural training aims to develop awareness between people where a common cultural framework does not exist in order to promote clear lines of communication and better relationships.
10 E-mail Organization Tips
Who doesn't have issues with organizing their inbox!? I receive close to 600 e-mail each day due to the variety of activities and contacts I have online. Some I am truly interested in their content - most I am not.
|home | site map