Seven Habits Of Ineffective People
For maximum effectiveness in life, love or business, it helps to have the right habits. You knew that, of course, but don't forget that it also helps to not have the wrong habits. What are these?
Seven Effectiveness-Killing Habits
1. Short term thinking. I knew a man who paid $700 rent instead of $550 per month for a nicer place. The landlord didn't require a deposit, so he could move in for $300 less. Now he pays $1,800 more per year in rent. Borrowing from a loanshark to get into the other place would have made more sense, even at 200% annual interest.
2. Waiting for opportunities. Don't we all know people who are "waiting for their ship to come in," while others are out there building ships? Work invites opportunities - waiting doesn't.
3. Blaming. This is a favorite habit of many bitter people. When has blaming others ever motivated you to improve your situation? Talk about an effectiveness-killer.
4. Looking outside for answers to inside problems. Similar to blaming, this habit is based on misunderstanding why we are in our current situation. In our free and wealthy society, it's usually due to what's going on inside our heads.
5. Procrastinating. Actually, I like this habit. Just stop applying it to things you need to do, and apply it to picking up that cigarette, eating that cake, or getting into that argument.
6. Laziness. I don't know what to say about this bad habit, except that I don't know of anyone who has suffered greatly from forcing themselves to get up and do something. Try something easy first.
7. Acting on impulse. I met a guy at the bus stop this week who within five minutes mentioned that he had bought a $200 hat and that he was hoping they would approve his welfare application. Do you think he might have a problem with impulse control?
If "creating a new you" seems daunting, just start correcting your bad habits, one-by-one. This alone will increase your effectiveness in any pursuit, and your success in life.
Steve Gillman writes on many self help topics including boosting brainpower, losing weight, meditation, habits of mind, creative problem solving, learning grattitude, generating luck and anything related to self improvement. You'll find more at http://www.selfimprovementnow.com
Living your successful life requires you to step out. I remember as a teenager, right out of high school, learning this valuable lesson. Now - 15 years later - my life is the result of habitually stepping out.
The Missing Piece
Have you ever tried putting a puzzle together, only to get to the end and discover that a piece is missing? You anxiously put the puzzle together, constantly examining the picture of your anticipated outcome, and a piece is missing. Piece by piece you work, only to realize that something is missing -- and only one piece. One piece of the puzzle is missing, and that one piece makes a huge difference because the puzzle is incomplete. That missing piece changes not only the picture, but also the anticipated outcome. You search and search for that missing piece out of frustration because of your desire to complete the puzzle in its entirety.
Full Steam Ahead, Just Dont Go Off Half Cocked!
Do you do things that you don't want to do? Do you not do things that you do want to do? Do you find every reason in the book to delay what needs to be done? Would you like to know the secret of getting things done? Then hang on tight, cause this buds for you.
7 Tips For Unstoppable Motivation And Enduring Success
Procrastination is of no use to you in your quest to fulfill your dreams. Lose those old habits and replace them with habits that lead to self-motivation and control over your life.
Ill Put My Money On The Kid!
Now, the Fun Part. It is nigh time to find a way to take all the buck out of this bucking bronco we call the internet. I mean take all the gamble out of it!! This bronco is waiting to hand over to you all the true riches of life.........and obtain whatever you want... money, health, love, recognition, prestige. But, you gotta know something critical!
How To Become More Patient
"Lord give me patience ? and hurry!"
Its My Blankey and Im Keeping It!
"Blankey" ? as in Security Blankey. OK? All parents know what this is. Sometimes it's an actual "blankey", or it may be a pillow, a doll or some other favorite toy or scrap of material. It's the "thing" that provides a measure of security to developing young minds in a sometimes scary new world. It's the "thing" the little ones sleep with, eat with, and lug around until it becomes almost unrecognizable. God forbid that we should ever misplace our blankey. It would be absolutely impossible to live without it!
Life Doesnt Have A Sell By Date
Or does it?
Do you Live the Life you Desire?
There comes a time in every person's life when you look at yourself and wonder what became of all your dreams and plans for the future. What happened to that future? Is it too late now? Can I create a meaningful lifestyle?
The natural cycle of life is to grow and move forward but moving forward brings with it an element of the unknown. It is human nature to fear the unknown. Often it is difficult for people to take the steps required to move forward because of that fear. Deep down inside, they may know that much needed changes are required in order for improvement to take place in their life circumstances yet they find themselves unable to let go of the familiar comfort of the past.
On the J-O-B. That's where I met him. Quentin Cole was his name. Everyone called him Q for short. Q was an extremely attractive man. He was 6'2", had the waviest-curliest-jet-black hair that you ever saw. This man had the deepest dimples, hazeliest of green eyes, and a physique to die for. He always dressed well and smelled so, so g-o-o-d. WOW!
Top 5 Reasons Why Youre Not Living Your Dream
1. "I'm too old to make a change." Maybe you're over 30 and settled in your career. You don't even want to think about making a move somewhere else. Besides, at this point in your life, you're supposed to be doing what you want, right?
Avoid This Tendency And Youll Press Beyond Your Limits!
Inside of every one of us is the desire to press beyond our own limitations. Just forty years ago, the goal to land on the moon was a huge step for mankind. Now, we've gone beyond the moon and the end is nowhere in sight. But, consider this: Every challenge we face, can be stopped dead in its tracks with one little undesirable tendency. Hmm?
12 Reflections on Personal Responsibility
Responsibility means being accountable for what we think, say, and do. Personal responsibility involves working on our own character and skill development rather than blaming others for situations and circumstances. It means choosing to design a life that honors our values and purpose.
Are You Facing Challenges? Then Make A Different Decision
Many people don't really understand the gift they have been given in their ability to be decisive. According to the dictionary, decisiveness means 'having the power or quality of settling a dispute, question, doubt, contest, event, etc.' How individuals use this power of decisiveness will strongly influence the quality of life that they experience.
Your Life Story: Whatcha Gonna Do? Write Your Life Story NOW before Its Too Late!
Imagine this scene: Project yourself into the future. You are 87 years old and sitting on the couch in the living room of your house. Sitting around you are your grand children and their children too. The smaller ones and maybe even some of the older ones ask you to tell them a story. They enjoy your stories. And of course you are more than happy to oblige them. Then after all, this is your family! Your offspring! You've told them many stories over the years. This time, however, they want you to tell them a different story. The story they want to hear this time, and everyone seems particularly primed to hear, is the story of your life. They are all waiting eagerly for you to begin.
Qualia and Quanta
Ah, those New Year's resolutions.
Clear Thinking - Ten Ways
Does your mind sometimes feel like a television station you can't quite tune in? You know there's an interesting program on - or several, but everything is mixed with static. What if you could "tune in" at will, have clear thinking whenever you want it? Try some of the following.
For Those Who Have Suffered!
As one who has suffered from the long, term effects of trauma I feel compelled to share some experience and hope with those who seek to heal themselves and create true quality of life.
How to Take Your Stalled Projects to the Finish Line
Q. I have several projects going at once -- but I never seem to finish them! I'm pulled in so many different directions -- and I end up with nothing to show for my efforts!
|home | site map|