|Home Improvement Information|
5 Steps for Creating a Garage You Can Love ? and Use
A major US corporation recently launched a new line of products it hopes will create a $650 million retail business ? appliances and storage devices designed to appeal to the 65 million garage owners in the U.S! According to a 1994 study by the U.S. Department of Energy (and we won't even explore what launched that study!), 25% of people with two-car garages didn't park any cars in them and 32% parked only one. When it came to three-car garages, only 13% parked three cars. . So, if we don't park cars in our garages, what do we use them for?
Based on nearly twenty-five years of assisting our clients in organizing homes and offices in North America, I can attest to the fact that a large percentage of garage owners consider their garage a convenient on-site storage facility, or major irritation, often an embarrassment. Not because of the age or condition of the car parked there, but because of the clutter ? frequently moved from one garage to another.
One of the major principles of our company is Clutter is Postponed Decisions® -- and what better place to store postponed decisions than a garage? So how do you get rid of the clutter? Consider these five tips:
1) Design your vision. Create in your mind a picture of how the garage would look if you got rid of the clutter. If that's impossible for you, think of how you would feel if you could actually park your car in the garage? Perhaps you could allow houseguests to get directly into your car in the garage without driving it to the front door in order to avoid their seeing the ness. Or, maybe you could find the barbeque utensils you need in a few seconds instead of having to buy new ones!
2) Eliminate your excuses. Disorganization can range from circumstantial to chronic. It doesn't really matter what caused the mess ? they may very well be legitimate. The question is how much longer are you willing to put up with the situation? If you can't do it yourself, resolve to get help. After hiring us to help him clean up his garage, a client said, "I can't believe I drove into my garage every day for three years chastising myself that I hadn't done anything with all that clutter. For a few hundred dollars, it was done ? and I didn't even have to do it. I wonder what took me so long?"
3) Commit your time. Decide when you will get started on solving the problem. A client recently hired us to clean her garage. When it was over she commented, "That was a lot different that I thought it would be." "How?" I asked. "For one thing," she replied, "I thought it would take four weekends." We were done in six hours. The first and simplest step is to identify a specific place to put the items you find that you no longer need or want. (Donating unused but useable items to a local charity, selling them on e-Bay, or having a garage sale, if you're into such things, will not only make you feel better, it can even earn or save you money.
4) Select your tools. Choose the right tools for what you want to store. Two of the most effective solutions in a garage are shelving and hooks. They don't have to be costly to be functional, but if you dream of having a garage that is aesthetically pleasing, there are a variety of attractive and function options. In order to determine what size of storage units you need, use the most basic or organizing principles: Group like items together. Then determine if you really need or want that many empty boxes, garden tools you never use, or appliances you never really liked anyway. Check out organizing, discount, hardware, and home and garden stores and catalogs of an amazing variety of equipment.
5) Maintain your success. That old adage "A place for everything and everything in it's place" sounds admirable, but for most of us, it's just impossible. In the rush of everyday living, things just get messy ? and that includes garages. But if there IS a place for everything, cleaning it up presents no major challenges, and getting other members of the family to help is easier too!
Picture your garage as a place you can love ? and even park your car. Imagine that!
© Barbara Hemphill is the author of Kiplinger's Taming the Paper Tiger at Work and Taming the Paper Tiger at Home and co-author of Love It or Lose It: Living Clutter-Free Forever. The mission of Hemphill Productivity Institute is to help individuals and organizations create and sustain a productive environment so they can accomplish their work and enjoy their lives. We do this by organizing space, information, and time. We can be reached at 800-427-0237 or at www.ProductiveEnvironment.com
Protecting Yourself from Miter Saw Hazards
A miter saw, also known as a "chop saw," is a circular saw that is mounted on a frame. It is designed to be portable and to make very accurate angled cuts between 45 and 90 degrees. The compound miter saw can cut at an additional angle in order to cut bevels. Miter saws are predominately used in cutting wood but can also be used to cut plastics and light metals. Like any power tool, it is important to follow some safety rules to protect yourself. The following are some guidelines to keep yourself safe while operating you miter saw:
Pre-Fabricated Steel Buildings
More and more construction is being done with steel in recent years, as more people learn about the many benefits of using steel vs. other construction materials. One of the many features offered when building with steel is the option to purchase a prefabricated steel building.
Small Kitchen Remodeling Ideas
Any remodeling idea for a small kitchen must address the following issues: counter space, storage, built-ins, and pantry.
Hand Stripping Furniture
Directions for HAND Stripping.
Planning Permission Tips UK - Is Todays Popular Quest For Contemporary Design The New Bad Taste
Can you remember when people used to install slatted louvre windows as replacement units in their Victorian semis or the stone cladding revolution of the 1980's.
Heres What a Jacuzzi Will Do For You
Jacuzzi's are a great recreational and health benefit for a home. Having some idea what type and what uses you will have for it, are keys to purchasing the right one for you.
The Dangers of Pesticides and the EPAs Harrowing Plan to Test Them on Kids
Pesticides are a ubiquitous toxin in our environment. We spray them liberally on ants and spiders in our homes, use them in our gardens and on our lawns, fog our streets with them to kill mosquitoes-even spread them on our own bodies to keep bugs away.
There Is Always Something To Improve Or Innovate For Comfort
In this fast moving world of the 21st century, we are always forced to do everything in a rush, even eating and sleeping. The normal words of today are "hurry", "rush", "fast", "quick" and "immediately." In comparison with 20 years ago, today we have to move or work as fast as possible to survive in a competitive environment with creative and innovative ways. Even though modern technology innovations were introduced decades ago, the new technology has not yet given us the opportunity to create new products to reduce the stress of people in everyday life. We are living under constant mental and physical stress, with more and more demands from our current society.
Sofa slipcovers - Give your home an instant makeover!
Sofa slipcovers are designed to be easy to fit over your existing upholstery, to give your furniture a fresh new look and protect the fabric underneath. If your favorite sofa is looking a bit tired or outdated, but is generally in good condition, you could give it a new lease of life simply by adding some stylish sofa covers. Furniture slipcovers are a quick and affordable alternative to re-upholstery or buying a new suite. A well made sofa slipcover can be bought for under $200. If you want to improve the appearance of your sofas or chairs, without a lot of inconvenience or expense, slip covers could be the answer.
The Ten Most Important Feng Shui Design Tips
If you wish to learn how to manage interior design according to feng shui design guidelines, there are some major tips you must know. We wish to help you achieve a balanced and harmonic feng shui design for any environment you wish it to be. Read the next paragraphs and learn the feng shui design most important tips.
The Advantages of Pre-Engineered Steel Buildings
Steel is a remarkable material that has been steadily increasing in popularity for construction. It is 66% recyclable, which offers both environmental and financial benefits, and is especially strong and durable. There are a number of options available for building with steel, and one of the most innovative of those options are pre-engineered steel buildings. They are planned, designed and almost pre-built at the factory itself. They just have to be assembled after they reach the building site. They are pre-drilled, pre-cut and pre-welded and just need to be bolted together. This can often be done quickly and with a minimum of professional assistance, and sometimes with none at all.
A Carefully Planned Outdoor Kitchen is Worth the Investment
Do you have any idea how popular outdoor kitchens are becoming? We spend more time at home than ever before and we are fixing up those homes instead of buying new. Homeowners are opting for an outdoor kitchen over other types of remodeling projects because they extend the size of their living space. If they are spending more time at home, they are definitely entertaining more as well. Partying alfresco is a hot new trend because it is so relaxed and casual and it is less wear and tear on the house itself. Keep the guests outside as much as possible so you will have less clean up indoors.
Modern Rugs Add Color, Texture, Interest and Space Definition To Your Room
Modern Design is sleek, stark, and spacious with angular and geometric lines. As the look for contemporary design is escalating so is the demand for modern home décor accessories. Modern area rugs can add color, texture, interest, and space definition to your decor. In the past, customers, who desired modern rugs, found it difficult to find one that fitted their requirements. However, today a growing number of rug companies are manufacturing modern rugs and more stores are in turn stocking modern rug designs. Fortunately, the buyer is not just restricted to jaded colors with abstract patterns. Today, modern rugs range from solid color modern rugs, stripes modern rugs, circle modern rugs, animal print modern rugs and many more. Additionally, a vide variety of modern rugs are replicated from famous artist's paintings.
10 Tips for Working With a Contractor
This is the year you're going all out. You're going to build a deck, add a porch, erect a gazebo or lay a patio. You've done the research. It's well within your capability and you're looking forward to the satisfaction of creating a structure of beauty.
Unadulterated Truth About Black Mold: What You Don?t Know Is Destroying Your Home And Your Health
With today's new building procedures, our homes are more dangerous than ever before!
A Beautiful Carpet Sets The Mood Of Any Room
The first discovered carpet dates back to 1480 BC in the form of an Egyptian Fresco of handloom. Ever since, carpets have made their mark in most tastefully decorated hearths and homes.
Light Up Your Life
A house or any particular room can be carefully planned, well thought out and perfectly executed but without the proper lighting it never really comes to life. A perfect example is a tile back splash in a kitchen. Without some nice under cabinet lighting to show it off it never really reaches it's potential as an eye opener.
Warm Up the Night! Patio Heaters and Fire Pits
In some areas right now, the weather is ideal for sitting outside in the evening -- the bugs have gone and the sky is clear -- but the nights are chilly. Don't let the cool evenings send you inside -- extend your outdoor living season by heating your deck or patio.
So You?ve Put an Offer on a Home. What?s Next?
You've finally found the home of your dreams, 3 bedrooms, attached garage, great neighborhood. You fix sights on the freshly painted walls, new carpeting, beautiful cabinet and a huge back yard. What are you forgetting? Everything else! Don't forget about the plumbing, heating, A/C, electrical, insulation, ventilation, exterior and roof. These are the most overlooked items because most people know very little about these types of items, or what to look for. You decide to make an offer on the home.
Can You Buy Luxury Home Brands Online and Save - Worry Free?
Are you frustrated with the high prices you've been quoted for luxury home decor?
|home | site map|